Thursday, November 13, 2008

Empress Pavillion

Now, I'll admit it. This is one of the first places I'd ever had Dim Sum. So it certainly holds a place in my heart.
Anyway, Empress Pavillion is a loud and thriving heartbeat of a restaurant. Get off the 110 at Hill and you're there. Find a spot in the lot, get a number and prepare to wait a bit. If you happen to get here after 11:30 or so you may be turned away. Very popular with folks after church on the weekends. I often see tables with three generations represented. With lazy susans for getting those dishes to everyone around the biggest of tables. And then there's the dozen or more carts pushed by women who will tell you what they have. Sometimes in Chinese sometimes in English or maybe both. It can get a little crazy. But that's half the fun. Getting a bunch of little dishes to share and trying new things. We always get the Chinese broccoli served with a savory oyster sauce. Probably good for you but I don't care. Har Gow, Shu Mai, steamed pork buns and a good variety of vegetable and seafood dumplings. I usually skip the fried stuff here but there's that too. Don't forget to try the spare rib rice with a bit of Chinese sausage. Or just the pork spare rib by itself. Steamed with a bit of black bean and chile. Almost every time we go, I try something I've never had before. Just recently it was shrimp dumplings with shark fin. The time before that whole prawns, head and all. Yum. Can't find a favorite item? Ask one of the jacketed waiters or go find it on foot if you dare. Just be sure to bring your card to be stamped in the appropriate area. One of my all time favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search